Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Master Class

Master Class..right. So for those of you who don't know, a master class is where all the Music Majors on the same instrument (or taking lessons from the same teacher, I think... someone help me on that?) all attend a "class" together. Basically what the clarinets did was have a two-day mini recital. I was really nervous and did not feel as prepared for it as I would have liked to be. But it was a really good practice for me before my jury next Monday. I didn't get as scared as I usually do for a performance. Maybe because I knew quite a few people who were there? I don't know. No.. knowing the people listening to me perform makes it worse. I don't know, but it went rather ok I thought. It was really great for me to hear the other clarinetists play. I walked away from that thinking, "yeah ok. I think I can do this". With a lot of practice though, because I also got some good tips and pointers from fellow students to help me with my playing.

I can tell my playing and sound have both gotten a lot better in one semester and I am really looking forward to even more progress next semester. I feel like I have sort of hit a wall and my progress is slowing now.. But I hope that won't last much longer. I think part of that is my instrument. (Mom..... I want a new clarinet...) A bigger part though would just be the bad habits and lack of..... clarinetting that I have had in the past. A wise person told me, "you just need more time". So that's what I am going to go off of. I'll just give it more time. I look at what I have learned in one semester, and it can only improve from here.

P.S. if it were not for Mr. Cunningham helping me out my senior year.. I would feel like an even bigger idiot in the music program than I do right now. Thank heavens for a director who played the clarinet. THANK YOU C-HAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment