Sunday, January 15, 2012

Beauty Redefined

Tonight, I went to a fireside with Emily (thanks Emily!) and it was so good. The whole thing was a presentation by these two sisters who have put a lot of research and study into the way media makes us perceive women. They call their project Beauty Redefined (hence my title). They do this kind of thing:



As opposed to the media which does this kind of thing:








The whole point of this being that, media is trying to get women to obtain something that in reality doesn't exist. You have to see yourself for who you are. Not what someone else thinks you should look like. I really loved this presentation. I thought it was so good and very eye opening to realize how warped public and general ideas have become. Makes me want to help do something about it.

These sisters have a website that has a lot more information about what they do and the things they are against.
http://www.beautyredefined.net/
I highly recommend checking out what is on there.

It is kind of humbling to see what the adversary has done to the world's view of women. A little scary too.
But all of this has greatly made me appreciate my own knowledge of individual worth and that there is more to people than meets the eye. After all, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". And there is really only one beholder that matters and He is the one who created me so of course He thinks I am beautiful. Today was an amazing reminder of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment