Friday, January 20, 2012

Science? or Not? (in a Writing class)

In my Writing 2010 class this morning, we got on a very interesting subject. The discussion started with a reading assignment about Scientists and how they use facts to make decisions whereas other leaders will use gut instinct or their conscious when deciding what should be done. One kid in my class brought up the point that it is "human nature" to follow your conscious. Then the class talked about "well, what is a conscious?" It was brought up that your mind comes up with a solution without you being totally aware of it and then your gut reaction is to follow that "instinct". And most of the time, it turns out that if you follow your gut, you will end up making the right choice. During this whole discussion I couldn't help thinking to myself, "don't you realize why? There is totally something missing in this discussion! It isn't just instinct that helps you make good decisions, it is the guidance of the Spirit." But... me being me... kept quiet and didn't say anything. So I kind of smiled to myself, grateful that I had my own personal knowledge in this area. I did, however, notice that the conversation was bothering the kid sitting in front of me. I remembered him saying something about his mission in one of his comments. So after class, I asked him about his mission and then what he thought about what the discussion topic turned too. I could tell before that he was thinking the same thing, but he told me he was thinking the same thing.

It was just kind of a cool experience to be able to sit in an academic classroom and feel comforted because my religion has supplied me with an answer to something that the other people in class did not have an answer to. I would also be more willing now to share what I believe because of my experience in class this morning. I wanted to say something, but never actually did. In that setting, anything I said would have just been looked at as an opportunity for more argument. A situation like that can't invite the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment