Thursday, November 10, 2011

Another Late Night at David Gardner

After practicing tonight, I went to the clarinet recital of Woongshik Kwak. He is a Doctorate student in Instrumental Performance.Can I just say that it was basically amazing. I had my mind blown. But at the same time I was thinking about how much he would have to practice in order to sound and be as good as he is. It, in a way, renewed my determination to keep at it. I think that as long as I keep practicing daily and keep learning as much as I can that a sound like that (or at least somewhat close to) is achievable. There was just something about listening to that performance, being there in person, that made it more real to me.
Now, the songs he picked to perform were insane and super amazing. This is just part of one of the concertos he played.
I don't actually expect anyone to listen to the whole thing, because it's really long and this is only the first movement. Woongshick actually played all three movements. And he did that with three pieces. I even think that his sound on the clarinet was better than the one in this recording. Maybe because it was live, but I don't know. I just know that it was amazing and I really want that kind of sound when I play.  ....I have got a lot of work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment