Monday, November 21, 2011

Intro to Ethics 101

In my "Into to Music Ed" class, we have been talking about different ethical decisions music teachers (or just teachers in general) have to make on a regular basis. Examples of these would be like, whether a teacher should make copies of music. Or.. if and/or how music with sacred text should be used. Things like Christmas music and other religious or holiday related music. Or.. other things like relationships between teacher and students; teachers texting and giving students their number, being on social networking sites and casual relationships..things like that.
One thing that really has bothered me, as a student, is when other students call their teacher by their first name. It is really different in a college setting, but that really bothered me in jr high and high school. I just don't think that letting a student call you (the teacher) by your first name encourages very much respect. Now, don't get me wrong, I had quite a few teachers whom I called by their first name because everyone in school did and had for years. Then again, there were some teachers that I just couldn't bring myself to call by their first name. It seemed too weird for me, and I think I respected them more, as my teacher, because of that. Even my volleyball coach asked us not to call her by her first name and I really respect her for her decision to address that and I do think it increased the respect she got from us as a team. From thinking on this, I have decided that when I am a teacher, I with do the same thing Coach Skewes (Stevens) did and ask my students to call me by a more official name than Brooke. It's just more respectful, especially in a classroom setting.
I also thought a lot about teachers and social networking sites, like Facebook. Now... I will admit any day, that I am addicted to Facebook. I am always on there. Fact. So for me, as I teacher, I would not be comfortable "friending" students on Facebook because I use it and am online all the time. For others, it may not be a big deal because they hardly use their Facebook accounts as it is. Me, myself and I, on the other hand, am on Facebook way too much for it to be okay to have students knowing everything that I post for my friends and family to see. Not okay with that.
Just some things that I (before now) had not taken into consideration but they are definitely issues that teachers have to worry about. Granted, not all of them turn into big issues, but why would I put my job on the line risking that? I also recognize that there are a lot of issues that I did not even mention, but that teachers constantly have to deal with. It will just be an intense learning process for me when I become a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment