Monday, November 7, 2011

Weekly Private Lessons

I don't know that I actually look forward to private lessons.. but they are really good for me and I learn a lot. This last week I was supposed to write down everything I did while practicing. What I practiced, how I practiced it, and why I did it that way. It helped to make me think about what I was doing, and Kathy (clarinet professor) said that my lesson today went really well and she can tell that writing everything down is helping me. So I felt pretty good about lessons this week. Of course, anything positive from Kathy makes me feel pretty good.
But here's the crazy thing, practicing actually helps! You can quote me on that too. Practice. For seriously. I have noticed my own improvement so much and it's all because I actually practice on a daily basis. And what's worse - I like practicing now. (You can quote me on that too.) So anyone who is learning to play an instrument, I strongly advise you to practice. All of my future music students will learn how to practice and how to practice efficiently. So anyone interested in music, start getting into practicing habits now. I promise they will help. (Mom, you should make sure Brynne reads this.) ;)

The only thing is that when I'm working with Kathy she will ask me a question like, "Oh this is by Schuman. Do you know what other composer is from this time period with a similar style?" and I'm left there thinking.....um.... no. She does that quite a lot to me. Like today, "Have you heard of the composer ________?" Me: .......no. "Have you heard the piece _________" Me: ....no. I basically feel like a musical idiot in situations like that. So I went to the Marriot Library and got a few books. One specifically on the clarinet, (it's called "The Clarinet") so that I can stop feeling so stupid all the time.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, but you have to fix that heading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Well, you will learn a lot from her quizzes I'm sure, and then one day someone else will ask you, and you'll know the answer! Happened to me in 7th grade English...my teacher was swearing that none of us could name 5 composers, and I did it, thanks to my piano teacher.

    ReplyDelete